Friday, June 17, 2011

The Big Proposal

June is a go getter. For the record, when it comes to our relationship, I got her and she gets credit for it. She is a knock'em sock'em kickin all your bott'ems kind of girl. I love this about her. I love that she works like she was raised on a farm. I love that she lives out life like a child on some grand expedition. When she smiles its like Princess Diana and Julie Roberts rolled into one. You know what I mean?  One of those smiles that gives you courage to smile back. In the kitchen she can make a masterpiece out of 3 ingredients, and in the bed...she doesn't snore! 

So why do I share this with you? Today, I am picking up June early from work. It also marks the first of many weddings we will be attending this summer. 2011 is officially designated the year of the wedding guest for us. The couple getting married this evening we've known for about five years now. They happen to be high school sweethearts! June and I are so excited to be apart of their big day. Ironically enough, the reception happens to be at the same restaurant I took June out to eat the night I proposed to her - May 4th 2007.

I can still remember the big proposal. I know you may be thinking, a guy like me, getting a girl like her? Don't worry I still think that. Truthfully, for her, it was really about my feet. [A story for another time.] For me it was all about her face. As I conversed with the Almighty about my future wife, I had one stipulation. If I was going to have to look at her the rest of my life, her face better make me melt. [There you go girls. Now you know! Not every guys survey of you begins with how skinny jeans and blouses fit you.]

I definitely got lucky with June. On that day of my big proposal, I took June to Cobbs Hill. [Earlier that day my good friend and I strung lights around three trees that stood near each other. I also scattered a bed of rose petals on the ground. Someone ended up stealing the lights.] We walked around for a few minutes then I took her over to the spot. I got out this antique picnic basket that was filled with all these things from the 20's and 30's of things I imagined June liking if she grew up during that time. One of those things was a little jewelry box, which had a poem inside I had written her. Fortunately, when she removed the poem to read it she didn't notice the ring underneath. I got on one knee and confessed my love to her.  To top it off, there was an old silver spoon and a little glass bowl, I made her eat rice pudding! [A couple years earlier we were in Wegmans together, and I asked her if we could get some rice pudding. She nearly gagged. I pleaded with her to try it and she refused. She said the day I proposed to her would be the day she ate rice pudding!] After we enjoyed a few spoons of delicious rice pudding we danced to the song, "Luckiest" by Ben Folds.  [feel free to listen to it here.] After that we headed to Mario's for a nice dinner, and later we attended June's spring formal.  [ask me to tell you about another fond formal memory later - yikes!] There ya have it. The big proposal. Johnny and June style!

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment