Friday, May 13, 2011

Inspiration: Simple

One of my absolute favorite magazines is Real Simple. My sister-in-law has bought me a subscription for my birthday for the past couple of years, and it is the BEST present ever. If you're reading this, Big Siesel, you can get me that present for the rest of my life and I will always love it. Promise. Their magazine always has great tips for simplifying your life, from your decorating to your organization to your meals you cook. I have tried many things I've read in this magazine with great success. They really do things "Real Simple."

I love everything simple. It is essential to who I am. I am a simple gal, who likes things that way. I often times feel like I don't have the time for things to be complicated, and even if I did have the time, I would rather do something else with it, like read a book, have coffee with a friend, or a date with Johnny. Life is just way too short for things to be complicated. I have a few people in my life who lead simple lives, and they seem more genuinely happy than any other people in my life. That is inspiring.

One of the ways that simplicity presents itself in my life is in organization. When things are organized, it calms me down. My need for organization can sometimes look like this:


(Image courtesy of Pottery Barn)

Everything has it's place. It's inspirational. Don't you just want to sit down and conquer something, when your work place is as organized as this?

Another way that simplicity presents itself in my life is calming colors. My house is currently a blend of white, beige, nature green, sky blue, blacks, and browns. A few pops of color here and there, but that's basically it. I like feeling calm when I'm home. Simplicity. It inspires me to breathe. To relax. To enjoy every moment of my life, and not take anything for granted. 

(Image courtesy of Real Simple Magazine)

Love the white and beige here, and the glass tabletops. I just want to sit on that couch and write something profound. 

(Image courtesy of Pottery Barn)

Love the blues in this picture. Makes me think I could compose a beautiful piece of music here. I'm not musically inclined whatsoever, but in this living room, I might be. See? Simplicity is inspiring.

Other ways Johnny and I live a simple life:
  • We regularly go through clothes and household items we no longer use and donate them to Goodwill. We have practically nothing in a garage, basement, attic, or storage unit. Everything we own, we use. If we don't use it, it gets donated.
  • We stick to a budget for all expenditures. We don't buy things on credit. We generally save ourselves the hassle of money complications by following Dave Ramsey's method (yes, we took his Financial Peace University course and were hooked). 
  • We try to be careful of our commitments. Life can get complicated quickly when you're volunteering here, serving there, and on and on. Now, don't mistake what I'm saying. Being involved in things is great. We are involved in our church and community in many different ways. We just try not to overdo it. Sometimes a simple night home is the inspiration you need to reconnect with the loved ones in your life. 
So there ya have it. Clean out your closets. Organize your desk. Pick up a Real Simple magazine, grab yourself a cup of coffee, and get inspired. Then, invite me along. I'll bring my own magazine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment