Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Tale of Two Churches

According to my professor in Seminary the Christian Church is made up of two parts. There are many reasons why I agree with his explanation. The most important reason...he may be one of the best teachers this nation has to offer. What qualifies this statement? He dresses in a bow-tie and isn't afraid to talk to his students by impersonating a penguin. Brilliance and vulnerability is the very essence of God's creative nature. Unfortunately, we rarely see these two together in life.

Anyways, my professor explains it like this, the Church is made up of both the Big C and the the little c. [this is my interpretation of his explanation] The Big C represents the global and historical body of Christ. The little c, we primarily know as the local, denominational based church we find so prevalent on America's street corners. This also happens to be a reflection of our culture - excess. [for your sake I won't go there, but seriously, do the towns with as many churches as street corners need another? Unfortunately, unlike Starbucks, not every little c is created equally!]

There is probably nothing in this world that captivates me more than June, my beautiful wife. The very next thing though would be the Church, which happens to be the bride of Christ. I can give you many reasons as to why I am so captivated by June. Yet, why I am so intrigued by the the Big C, is yet to be determined!

I am in love with the Big C, and at the same time it's hard for me to even shake hands with the little c. So who is at fault, me? Or them? I'd be lying if I told you I don't personally know Christians who speak poorly of other Christians. I'd also be lying if I told you I wasn't one of them. Why do we do this? The problem with our "discernment/analyzing/honesty" is we isolate the little c, apart from the Big C. We, the little c's often match ourselves up against each other, without even considering we are all the makeup of the Big C. We criticize and cut down a local church or member and don't even make the connection that we are, in a sense, cutting down and criticizing the Big C, to whom all of Christ's followers belong. I hate it!

Throughout history the Big C continues to forcefully advance by men and women who desire to see the world changed by God's redeeming power.  The little c, often in America, lives in indolence and apathy.  It is said that laziness breeds criticism.  I am a part of the little c, and I also a part of the Big C. I am tired of reacting with criticism. It is time we respond to each other in love, the more challenging step to take. The only thing that Christ desired of His bride.  

No comments:

Post a Comment