Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Life as a [non] Vegan

Good Morning World :)

Today is May 3, which means I've had 2 full days of being non-Vegan. It's actually been an interesting few days adjusting back. Or not adjusting back. Just read on...

Sunday, I woke up dreaming of a bacon-egg-cheese-croissant, pretty much the most anti-Vegan meal there ever was. Johnny and I were running a little late to church, and he suggested that maybe we pass on getting the breakfast sandwich. I threw a tantrum, similar to that of a three year old, and I got my way. To be clear, I'm not suggesting tantrums are a mature way to handle things, but it did work, so take from it what you will. Anyway, I was savoring the most amazing breakfast sandwich in the middle of the church lobby while greeting visitors. I might not have been completely coherent, with flakes of croissant all over my face,  but I didn't care. I was in heaven (good pun in light of the fact that I was at church).

After church, around lunch time, Johnny and I headed to good ole Carrabba's for a celebration feast. If you remember, May 1 was the deadline for my entire year of work, so we had two things to celebrate. We sat down at a table, ready to go all out. Calamari, fresh mozzarella sticks, warm bread and dipping oil, filet mignon, shrimp, scallops, fettuccine alfredo, and on and on. To my dismay, I felt completely sick to my stomach midway through the filet. I know some of you might have seen that coming, but I didn't. I had to wrap up most of my meal, and drink 3 glasses of water to calm myself down. I wasn't able to eat anything the rest of the day actually. Monday morning, I woke up and found myself making a vegan breakfast. Mostly by habit, but in part because that's what my body wanted. Dinner was macaroni and cheese, which of course tasted great (I had to redeem that experience with the hot cardboard version), but again left me feeling a little ill afterward. Today, I'm back to a mostly vegan diet, but I've thrown in some greek yogurt for good measure.

One of the goals in this vegan experience was to learn more about my body. These last few days have confirmed to me that I have. Am I going to be an all-out-card-carrying vegan? Nope. Will I continue to eat more fruits, veggies, and whole grains than anything else? Yup. And I'm pleased as punch that this is the result of one of my 11 Dreams for 2011. Next goal on the chopping block? Stay tuned to find out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment